Established in 1994.
Deadline for nominations: May 1 of each year.
Avanti Polar Lipids, Incorporated has established an annual award to be given by the Biophysical Society. The award will be given to an investigator for outstanding contributions to our understanding of lipid biophysics. The winner receives an honorarium of $3,000.
- Nominee must have made important and well-recognized contributions to an understanding of lipid biophysics, including but not limited to the metabolism, enzymology, structure, or function of lipids or lipid membranes.
- Nominee must not have received an Avanti Award in any prior year and may not nominate himself or herself.
- Nominee must be a member of the Society in good standing.
- Nominee may be of any nationality or academic rank, and may be affiliated with non-academic institutions provided that the work for which they are to be acknowledged has been published in a recognized scholarly journal.
- Nominator must submit completed Nomination Form and required documents.
Nominations packets must include the following
- Completed Award Nomination Form
- Letter (no more than 2 pages) supporting the candidacy of the nominee and highlighting specific publications deemed representative or especially worthy of recognition
- Letter from the nominee accepting nomination
- Two supporting letters from other Society members
- Nominee’s curriculum vitae