Each year, the Biophysical Society sponsors small focused-topic meetings that are organized by Society members. The Society provides partial financial support in the range of $10,000 in addition to complete meeting management, including all web and onsite components.
The Societ has sponsored these thematic meetings, which have been held in various locations around the world, since 2010.
These meetings are unique and exciting because they bring together researches who do not otherwise attend the same events, bringing different perspectives to address a common problem.
Proposals from Society members are solicited in the summer of each year. All complete submissions are considered by the Thematic Meetings Committee, and the Committee's recommendations are submitted to the Society's Executive Board for approval.
Criteria for Thematic meetings sponsored by the Biophysical Society:
- Organizers must be Society members
- Topics must be timely, not recently addressed, and should foster interdisciplinary and international research
- Speakers must present new and exciting research
- Proposed list of speakers must represent geographic, gender, and ethnic diversity
- Domestic and international sites are appropriate.
Complete submissions must include:
- Names and emails of the organizers
- Proposed meeting title
- Description of meeting's topic and themes (one paragraph)
- Explanation of topic's timeliness and importance (one paragraph)
- Proposed meeting location and rationale for the location
- Proposed meeting dates and number of anticipated attendees
- Potential additional funding sources
- Potential conflicting meetings
Proposals for 2015 Thematic Meetings are now being accepted. View the submission form here. The deadline for submissions is July 11, 2013. Additional information, including a detailed budget plan and speaker list, may be requested from you in August, should the Thematic Meetings Committee need it for further deliberations.